Friday 28 January 2011

'dream of fuel station decay over time'

...which is the search term someone used last week to get to Bridge 39.
I wonder what they were looking for, and did they eventually find it? Was there a specific dream of decaying fuel stations that affected him or her so badly they had to research it further? It almost sounds like a Thomas Ligotti story - obsessive narrators haunted by nocturnal visions of rotting petrol stations.
I read the words again though. 'Dream of fuel station decay over time'. The words have all the logic and meaning of a phrase overheard in a dream; meaningless and yet, in the context of the dream - or that period immediately after waking from a dream - making a complete and inexplicable sense.
The words sound like something whispered, some dark and secret thing, some lost transmission, some signal caught in haunted cyber-space air.
It strikes me now as I write this that 'dream of fuel station decay over time' is exactly the sort of thing I would write, that |I might even Google to see what comes up.
In fact, as soon as I finish this, I think I'll open up another tab and...