Tuesday 25 November 2014

Feels Like Winter

It really does feel like winter now. It's not su much the temperature - which is relatively mild for this time of year, but some other almost intangible shift of something. Perhaps it is the light, grey and stifled, and these few short hours of daylight seem unbearably muted - or maybe it is the sky that casts this light. A thick band of white cloud covers everything - actually not true - at least not yesterday. Yesterday was sunny - but cold, and there was a beautiful sunset over the sea, but it still felt like winter.
Actually it feels like a specific winter - or a specific late autumn / early winter - namely this time of year in 2011. Em and myself were still seeing each other. I ahd a week off work and went to London twice. Kate Bush's album '50 Words For Snow' formed the soundtrack. A strange week off that was - for no real reason really. I remember counting the days till I got back to work. I'm glad I'm not working at my old job any more.