Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Day Stretching

It was, if I remember rightly, about this time last year that winter first showed signs of ending. Ah. Looking back, it does seem it was almost to the day. Well, a few days earlier. February 6th to be precise.
Today, of course has been similar.
Bright sun all day, and though the air was still cool, it was by no means cold. Almost warm, in the sun.
Anyhow.
It was upon leaving work tonight at 5:00pm that I realised today represented another marker in the year. The first time I've left work when it has been daylight. Well, far closer to daylight than night anyway.Walking back home, the air had that curious carnival or festival feel that springtime twilights always seem to have. I remember writing back in October of how I wouldn't leave work when it was light until next spring. Well, I might have got the season wrong, but March is only three weeks away now. Goodness.
Three months since I wrote that.
It all seems to have happened alarmingly quick. A week ago, I was noticing that it wasn't quite as pitch black as the week before, and here we are, seven days later and it is closer to day than night.