Tuesday 30 March 2010

October Spring

And the clock shifted into British Summer Time. Chronology shifted forward by an hour. We miss an hour, but the lighter evenings make it feel as if it is longer. A week of disorientation always follows turning the clocks forward. Memories and nostalgia. Echoes of a future? Perhaps.
White skies. Almost glowing. Rain walking home last night. My trilby hat soaked through. Almost dry now. Ten hours of sleep last night. Feverish dreams. Trapped in a house besieged by zombies. Not as horrifying as it might sound -I was quite enjoying it. Trapped in a house with a madman -not enjoying that one so much.

A clothes shop shutting down. Never even knew it was there. Six jackets for a pound each. Second-hand joy. I mean, a leather jacket for a pound? Ridiculous. Tom and myself return to the office pleased with our purchases. Spend the afternoon not listening to calls and trying on various jackets we have bought.
Tom finds a pound coin in one of his, but has to give it to me because he lost a bet that Ann and Claire -new starters at work- were mother and daughter.

And tonight, leaving work. The wind is up, strong and wild. Have to fold my hat into my bag for fear of losing it. Glimpses of the sea between the buildings. A white layer of cloud hazing the horizon line of the twilight sea. A fog coming? A storm coming?
Whatever is coming -or is here- seems to have turned back time. Walking back, it feels more like October than March. Not a bad thing, as I love autumnn. I love spring as well. One of the reasons I love both seasons is that they both seem so transient and changeable. Warm one day, cool the next. Interchangeable too. Autumn days that feel like spring. March that feels like October.
Last month a February summer, tonight an October spring.
Autumn stream running over the sleeping springs of river beds.
Perhaps.
The air is heavy with time tonight. This evening feels ancient, a deep, heavy feeling. The ticking of a grandfather clock, a bell tolling from a cathedral submerged in the sea.

An October spring opening up.
It feels we are on the verge of something, but what I don't know.