Friday 18 June 2010

A Short Ghost Story for the Ox-Hours

We're getting close to the ox-hours now. Just been reading ghost stories on the Fortean Times message board, and as its the small hours, thought I'd post a quick one before I go to sleep...

I visited York way back in the January of 2003. I went to a pub one night with a friend. After purchasing a pint from the bar, I walked into the front area, a large room with a number of tables. I was aware of various people in the room; a young couple, two old men playing chess, a group of young men by the window, a Victorian looking girl by the fire-
That wasn't right.
I looked up. There was no-one by the fire. I had only glimpsed her from the corner of my eye. I sat down with my friend and continued drinking, feeling pleasantly eerie, though knowing that it was probably my imagination. A chance conjunction of angles and shadows that gathered together in the corner of my eye.
I probably wouldn't have thought anything more about it, but that night, in another pub, I got talking to a girl who was interested in paranormal phenomena. I told her the name of the pub I had been in, and she said it was very haunted. One of the ghosts was a Victorian girl seen by the fire in the front room...

Coincidence probably, but still...