Wednesday 8 June 2011

Sea Serpents cast by Skies

My phone at work broke down at work today. Whilst waiting for this to be repaired, I found myself observing the sea out of the window. A green ocean today, and untrustworthy. There were lots of white foam and crashing waves, though it did not, at least, look a particularly tempestuous day. It was one of those days of small and fast moving clouds. Out near the horizon I could see elongated shadows of clouds move over the water. As I watched these, one of these shadows appeared just offshore. It moved slowly, a blackening of the water, a shark-sinister glide, as if it were hunting something. As it moved across the water, it struck me that it looked like a sea serpent, some dark and enthralling leviathan moving along the coast. Further out, similar shadows were gliding across the water, other serpents. For a few seconds it seemed as if the coast off Brighton were under siege by these nightmarish marine-myths.
Then my phone was fixed and I had to get back to work.