Monday 19 September 2011

Casting Broken Shadow

11:24pm.
Should really get to bed.

Left Andy's flat at about 10pm. Before this, discussions about moving house this Saturday; van hire costs and first months rent. Listened to the new Amebix album 'Sonic Mass'. Time flipping. I remember the last time they released a new album. 1988. I was sixteen years old. I remember the song 'Nobody's Driving', recorded onto cassette tape off the Friday Rock Show. 23 years ago. Just a shade off a quarter century.
Didn't come straight home of course, but played 'Sonic Mass' again. Headed off over the railway tracks to Old Shoreham Road. I'm sure that road only exists after dark. It was sublimely spooky tonight. Something to do with this being the last few days in the bedsit. Jumping at shadows. Opposite the entrance to Wilbury Crescent, in front of the walled wood in the catholic school grounds, a patch of dark, deeper than it should have been. Some dead and hidden street light somewhere, casting broken shadow. Look back. Watch the tree watching me, eyes full of magpie leaves and eyelid flutter. Pass Farewell Corner where nearly a decade ago, I said goodbye to someone I no longer know.
By the time I reached Seven Dials I felt less edgy. Pass by the shops, check the temperature (18') on the gauge above the roundabout. I temporarily lose a sense of direction between Seven Dials and St Anns Well park. Internal compass gone haywire, a Bermuda Triangle in Brighton suburbia.
Back in the bedsit now.
Five nights left now.

11:36pm.
Really should get to bed.