Wednesday 21 September 2011

Last Few Stations before Alighting

In the bedsit, the last days of being here. Autumn begins to be felt. There are voices out in the hallway. Talking on the phone to Em at the beach, just past twilight. Waking up exhausted, in the middle of a dream. Dave's Comics full of early middle aged men, too old to be reading comics, and realise with horror I am one of them. Texts and phonecalls going astray. Marilyn, our new / old landlady on the phone, voice cyber distorted, bad reception metal. Those voices in the hallway begin to disquiet me. The bedsit is heavy and haunted, and I should not be here, and tomorrow Andy picks up the keys, then I pack on Friday, and move on Saturday and the bedsit shall be done.

Twilight was blue and autumnal tonight. It made me think of a moon, milky as bone, floating over quiet once-yellow fields.