Monday 26 March 2012

Cosmic Silliness

Exhausted from the sudden push into days that remind me of summer. As is so often the case, the days which bear only intimations of a season, seem somehow more of that season than it does when it comes. Today feels more like summer than summer ever will.
The Pavilion Gardens at lunchtime full of people. I sit with my lunch on the edge of the sun, my back in the shade. I am afraid of sitting fully in the sun though I don't know why. Too exposed, and summer is not my home anyway, even if today is only apremonition of summer, and not summer properly.
I get swallowed by the shade though. The earth moves. The sun doesn't shift. We're on a rock spinning in space. A sudden cosmic dizziness. I drink my tea and think of planets rushing round suns and stars and rocks and everything spinning in some impossibly vast and absurd display of impossibly complex physics.
Then I headed back to work and took some phone calls.
The universe suddenly seemed a very silly place.