Monday 19 March 2012

Sun-Dappled and Drowning

At work today.
The glittering on the sea, keep having to pull myself back to phone calls and finance and coffee.
Reminds me of something I read somewhere once, some urban legend that stuck with me. Thread on some message in the small hour forums of the internet. The effect of sun dappled light - under certain conditions anyway - creating some kind of hypnotic effect. Flickering sunlight the colour of leaves. I'm not sure how this this sun dappled effect was created - through trees and leaves in a wood on a windy day I presume. Not sure about the sea. Actually it would be days like today thinking anout it, all those pulsing rhythms of the tides. Anyway. The effect was to create some kind of hypnotic response in the viewer, and when affected, the viewer would just walk on, and keep walking, lost in the sun... Sinister apocryphal tales of people walking into the sea and drowning, unable and not wanting to pull away from what thrall held them. Tales of train drivers too, that the very design of trains had been changed to accommodate this effect. The early days of train travel, the effect of the train travelling through sunny, windy cuttings causing train crashes because of mesmerised drivers.
I don't believe a word of it obviously, but it's what I started thinking about at work today.