Sunday 9 September 2012

Summoning Autumn in Wrongly Remembered Houses

I attempt to win myself autumnal feelings by playing Omni Trio's 'Haunted Science' album. Closed curtains and a Sunday night resonance over everything, and I'm trying not to think of the alarm going off at 7:00am. 'Haunted Science' half works, a beautifully melancholic and mysterious album, first bought in Worcester in the late summer of 1998. You would think that any resonances the album holds might then remind me of the portentous and graceful days that herald the end of summer... but I am reminded instead of our old house on Woodstock Drive in Ickenham. If I don't look too closely, I could be sat on the floor of my room, suburban night out of the window, sloping up to Swakeleys Road, squint and hear the endless cars on Western  Avenue, and I would be, what, eighteen, nineteen, twenty?
At least it feels more like autumn now. I spoke to Em on the phone, and she said it had been raining. I missed this. I was drawing pictures of melancholy factories instead.