Tuesday 2 December 2014

Pink Wellies

I walk into town with Andy. Andy needs to go to work (via Santander) and I need to go to work to check my hours for the week. Wintry day. Actually feels cold, and the light is a mockery of itself. Lazy light, gray and still half asleep. No, not sleep. The light looks ill it is so weak.
As we pass the Jewish school down the road we look down. There is a single pink wellington on the floor. A child's welly. Andy points it out. We look at it. It strikes us both as vaguely sinister though we cannot say why. We continue walking.
Further into town, near the big Tesco's, we look down again. There is the other pink wellington, the other half of a now permanently lost and homeless pair. The series of events that have led up to one pink wellington being outside of a school, and the other one being outside of Tesco's will never be solved.
I wonder if I'll pass them on the way to work today.