Saturday 1 May 2010

Reservoirs Against the Night

2:38am.
I am deliberately staying awake as long as possible, for the sole purpose of sleeping as much of tomorrow as I can.
I haven't lain about all day in bed -with the exception of hangovers (rare these days) or illness- for longer than I can remember. The bank holiday weekend means I can have one day to waste on this ridiculous scheme.
Another reason is that sleeping through tomorrow is a way of building a reservoir against the night. The last isn't my phrase, but was taken from 'Duma Key' by Stephen King. I can't quite remember the context it was used in, but since reading the book in January last year, the phrase has come to mean a kind of battening down the hatches - the preparations you make when a storm might be coming.
Not that the coming storm -if it comes- is liable to be in any way dramatic, or interesting, but it seems to be in the air, in the sunlight, in the dusty, empty streets (which are neither dusty nor empty, but feel that way). Storms like this have come before, and are more likely on an empty weekend when it is hot, and Brighton will be busy, and there are no plans, and nothing to occupy your time.
Reservoirs against the night, against the storm.
Daylight makes such storms worse, which is why sleeping in tomorrow is advisable. The storms seem far less worse at night. Here we are, deep in the ox-hours, and I feel quite un-storm like.
If a storm does come, it will, in all probability last a few days. Maybe even shorter. Hopefully. I've had one storm which lasted the whole of a summer before. Thinking of that makes me feel kind of edgy.
Maybe the storm won't come at all.
But if it does, I'll just sit it out, read books, and go for walks through quiet parks to remote bookshops in largely unvisited areas of the town, and when evening falls, I'll sit by the calm of the sea and listen to music, and when the day fades, I'll watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (about to start season 4 now...) and fall asleep on the sofa I found abandoned in the fog.
There might not even be anything brewing. Anything brooding.
But if there is, at least there are reservoirs to hold against the night.
It might make the storm easier to bear.
If it comes.
2:54am