Friday 28 May 2010

Trying to Remember the Present

Happily, my p45 and last payslip were included in the original pack sent to my old address. I was immensely relieved. I have just finished filling in my redundancy forms. I am going to try and take it straight down to Whitemaund (the company dealing with Telegen's liquidation) after a bath. I need to also ask them about my credit card insurance forms. Part of the form has to be completed by my old employer, who, of course don't exist any more...
This week is a near Kafka / Orwell -esque labyrinth of forms and offices, phone calls and meetings. I wonder through them all in a daydream-like daze, because it still feels so unreal.
Happily, my landlord seems fine about waiting for the housing benefit to come through, so that is a huge weight off my mind.
After I had spoken to my landlord and the Citizens Advice Bureau yesterday (who were kind of helpful) I walked down to the Marina, ostensibly to use the ASDA there (but really to go for a walk). ASDA is the cheapest supermarket in Brighton that I can think of. The sun had come out, washing away the grey of that morning and the day before. It was quite hot by the time I had reached the Marina. I managed to buy a week's shopping for under £7:00. This includes eating a lot of 9p noodles, but until I know when my benefits are coming in they will have to do... (and were in fact quite tasty. i had them with some 'smart price tuna chunks' last night.)
I wondered slowly back home afterwards, sat on the beach for an hour or so, watching the sun get minutely lower in the sky. So long these days, but, I suppose, we are only three weeks away from the equinox now... After I had had my dinner last night I lay down on my sofa. The next thing I knew, it was 7:30am this morning. I don't remember dreaming, nothing. Twelve hours spent in blissful oblivion (well, it would be blissful if I can remember any of it!)
How intense and strange these days will be remembered! I wonder through them now, living from moment to moment, one mission to another mission... but this post-call centre phase will be remembered forever. As much as the week between leaving the petrol station and joining the call centre back in 2007, and the long 6 months I spent unemployed between leaving the photoshop in 2001 and joining the petrol station in 2002. What bits will I remember? What songs will trigger back memories of this time I am living in, pressed in by summer heat and the unknown future that is fluttering about me?