Monday 3 May 2010

Thanking the Fairies

I had looked for it everywhere, turned every drawer and bag and box inside out. Looked in old sketchbooks, paperback books, emptied out the rubbish bag into another rubbish bag - that was unpleasant. Finally accepted that the prescription was not going to turn up, and would have to brave the doctors receptionists on Tuesday before work. As a last resort -and not a resort I was taking particularly seriously (and isn't it always the way in stories like these?) I asked the fairies if they would kindly find me my prescription again as I would be very grateful. This is an old technique I had been reading about somewhere, the Fortean Times message board, or something similar. And people said it worked. I didn't think the fairies would help... I mean, even the Cottingley Fairies were finally admitted as fakes (but the fakers still insisted they saw fairies at the bottom of the garden...). I asked anyway. I don't know why. Anyhow, I digress. Looking for something else today (my room has become some kind of object-eater recently) I opened the drawer in my bedside table.
And there, nestled on top of a pile of wires and leads was my prescription.
Which pleased me immensely.
So thank you fairies.
(and yes, I had looked in that drawer at least three times...)