Saturday 4 December 2010

Rain

Kept awake by the rain last night. The sound of snow falling from the roof. Slush-falls sounding like some kind of earthquake. Thought at one point the bedsit was collapsing.
Woke this morning to find the snow all gone. A wonderful December gloom hanging over everything. Walking to work for my four hour Saturday shift this morning, the air smelt particularly ocean-like. A deep marine smell, as if to remind us the sea is still there.
I haven't been down to the sea for weeks.
When I left work at 1:00pm, the rain had become somewhat torrential. Little floods racing down pavements, washing away the ghosts of the snow. I think I much prefer the bleakness of the rain to the snow. There was some kind of student demonstration on. I saw about ten students shouting nonsensical statements being surrounded by about forty policement. Everybody seemed to be having a good time. I had heard that some students have been supergluing themselves to Burtons shop windows. This sounds like a very new urban legend to me. I hope not.
I thought all the Burtons had closed down years ago.