Monday 31 January 2011

The Symptoms of a Degenerative Creative Disorder

I thought I would do some drawing on Saturday. I got my pens ready (Rotring art pens) sketchbooks, and settled down to draw. All that happened was the pens didn't work, and i Ended up with sticky ink all over my fingers.
As an illustration for this still ongoing creative block, I can't think of a more concise one than that.

It is getting a little genuinely concerning though, and I am beginning to consider the possibility that my 'artistic' days, of whatever kind, may be, for the foreseeable future ended. Bridge 39 being the exception of course...
But consider:
The last time I wrote a poem was December 2009. This is the longest gap ever for me.
I haven't kept a notebook since last April.
I have only completed one drawing since at least last May. I keep starting drawings, but whenever they do, they feel lumpen and uninspired
I completed one painting last summer, and the one following languishes in a state of incompletion.
I pick up the guitar once every two months or so...
Even my blog entries are becoming more and more infrequent...
I wasn't that concerned when this creative block first started, but I'm beginning to feel a little alarmed now.

The ink on my fingers from Saturday has been scrubbed off, but I still feel that sticky sense of disappointment on my skin.