Sunday 17 July 2011

Stairwell of a Sewage Works Fairground

I left Em to her college work at midday and walked over to Andy's flat for our pre-arranged coffee before he had to leave for work. Andy had completely forgotten that we were meeting for coffee and was, in fact, still in bed. I was slightly hungover from the three (all of three!) beers I had had the night before, and nursed my headache-y head with a cup of coffee.
I began to drift on the sofa, watching the curtains of his basement flat glow and fade with the movement of the sun behind clouds. It was not long before I slipped into a dreamy shallow sleep on the sofa. I only remember one dream, or rather, one image from the dream. Kind of hard to explain though. It concerned a large underground shaft, dark and dripping with subterranean moisture. Running around the walls of this shaft was a kind of stairway, running round and down and down and down into that infinite blackness the shaft vanished into. The stairway itself was situated in a kind of 'canvas-corridor', made of tent material. The stairway - and the shaft - belonged to some kind of nocturnal carnival or occult circus, a sewage works fairground... That's all I can remember though.