Thursday 21 July 2011

Psychic Furniture is not Built to Last these Days

Somebody from work has left. They left suddenly and without warning. No reason for me to know anyway, I didn't know them at all. It was somebody I saw most days, a piece of the psychic furniture of work. then; gone. I think I said about five sentences to the person who left all together.
It is strange when a piece of everyday life is taken away suddenly, whether a person or a building or even a television show. I am reminded -suddenly- of News of the World. There it was, quite happily telling tales of celebrities on Sundays and now: THERE WILL NEVER BE A NEWS OF THE WORLD AGAIN. Things slip into the past, become memory, and every time there is something taken from the present, there is that reminder; things change, time moves on, and perhaps more sinisterly; nothing lasts, not even the psychic furniture we take for granted.