Sunday 31 July 2011

Slightly Hungover on the Night before Deep Summer

Deep summer begin tomorrow, that impossible and timeless season that precedes autumn. In August, there can be nothing else but summer, any other season seems a ridiculous and long lost myth.
This summer, thanks to the ceaseless rains of June and the ambiguous hours of July, hasn't seemed very summery. It still feels like it should be May. The whole idea that it is the last month of summer tomorrow is ridiculous.
There is a sudden moment of panic as I ponder the increasing momentum of time, and if autumn goes as fast summer, we'll be at Christmas, and then New Year, and then... ad nauseum.

It was Al's birthday last night, which was held in a couple of pubs in Lewes. Lewes had that feel of deep summer about it - that hot and stranded feel that summer holidays off from school or university used to have. The first pub we went to was called The Snowdrop, so called because it was the scene of Britain's worst avalanche disaster back in 1836. Eight people killed, and fifteen buried. After the Snowdrop we went to another pub which I want to call 'The Greys' but isn't because 'The Greys' is in Brighton. I kept drinking half pints of an 8% ale called 'Caligula', and it was no surprise when I woke up with a hangover this morning.
At Lewes Station on the way back, I ran into Jen with her boyfriend. I've not seen Jen for ages. I went for a coffee with her back in - what, March? April? Before that it was back in December when Em and myself met her and Pam for a drink in some pub I can't recall in Hove. Because I was slightly drunk, I kept calling her new boyfriend the name of her old, old boyfriend she was seeing whilst we were both working at Telegen. 'Why do you keep calling him Neil?' Jen asked. With sudden and growing horror (I hadn't realised I was doing this of course) I apologised profusely, and thought that, in future, I may well stay away from half pints of 8%ale named after Roman dictators.

A day spent dedicated to sleep today. Went round Em's place after Lewes (she couldn't join us as she was working) and woke up at about midday today. After a cup of tea, we went back to sleep for a couple of hours. We took a walk into town, had a cup of tea in the Pavilion gardens and headed back to hers to watch another epiode of 'True Blood'. At about 7:00pm I headed home, then had another hour and a half's sleep.
Now it is nearly 10pm and I've been barely conscious for my one day off from work...