Wednesday 9 May 2012

Fortean Coincidence

One of my (mostly) daily rituals is checking out the message boards at the Fortean Times website. The forums are full of tales and discussions on various paranormal subjects; ghost stories, cryptozoology, poltergeists, folklore, the occult, psychogeography - all the stuff I've been interested in since childhood. Over the past five years, this has unearthed some odd, odd tales and emerging urban legend archetypes; dog-headed men, shadow people, black eyed kids, stick men, the weirder the better. This morning perusing the website at work, I was delighted that there was a new thread called 'Where is the real weirdness?'. This was exciting. A thread dedicated to all the 'mind blowing weirdness that doesn't seem to make any sense at all'. I got to page two of the thread and one of my favourite tales was mentioned - the fox wearing a top hat while walking on its hind legs, which I wrote about here. The thing with such utterly bizarre stories as this is that there never seems to be enough information to satisfy curiosity. They get mentioned in a book here and a book there, jigsaw pieces that never quite show the full picture. I've read accounts of the 'top hat fox' in at least three different books. Perhaps there would be some new information on this surreal story? The piece began with the poster saying how 'it's funny when read in daylight, but quite a different proposition in the middle of a stormy night' - which is kind of how I feel about it. He went onto say that as he didn't have the book (Affleck Grey's excellent 'The Big Grey Man of Ben Macdhui') to hand - where there was fairly full account of the incident - so he would take 'most of the following off the net'.
I settled down to read about the familiar but still intriguing incident. As I began reading, a strange feeling began to creep over me - this was all very familiar indeed, a feeling similar to the time in a nightclub when I tried to get past a figure who kept stepping the same way I was, at exactly the same time - it was a mirror and I was drunk... I read on, and kept being prodded by these angular jabs of familiarity, this textual deja-vu. I was, of course, reading my own post from last December. He or she had taken the account from Bridge 39...
I was delighted. It was such an odd feeling, to be reading something I've written almost objectively, and to be come across it, completely coincidentally, on a website I visit nearly every day was just the icing on the synchronicitous (hmm. Not sure that's a real word) cake. The funny thing is that I've wanted to join the Fortean Times message board since I started visiting five years ago, but have been unable to due to the type of e-mail address I have. One of the things I wanted to post about, of course, was the fox wearing a top hat while walking on its hind legs...