Friday 4 May 2012

Kiruna Stammell down North Street

A slip of growing twilight behind the curtains, Tiamat's 'Judas Christ' album on the stereo(bought for £1:99 from Oxfam down the North laine) a cup of tea and a pot of low fat strawberry yoghurt in the fridge, and the whole of the bank holiday weekend off from work.
Walking back to work from lunch, an oddly familiar figure catches my eye. I have trouble recognising people I see every day if they are out of their normal habitats (Prosopagnosia...) but have no trouble recognising people I have seen on television it seems. I recognised Kiruna Stamell immediately (she was in the last Ricky Gervais thing and also in 'Cast-Offs' on channel 4 a few years ago - oh yes, and she was in 'Moulin Rouge too I think'). I did that classic double take, which you always try not to do when confronted with people you have known previously from some performance capacity. At first you think that you may know them. I have waved happily at Caitlin Moran before, thinking she was a friend of Sarah's before realising with horror that I knew her from her writing in The Times. Another time I almost went to say hello to that annoying actress who is in Eastenders, (she was smug and grumpy so I won't mention her name).
Anyhow, I looked back, realised it was 'that woman from the telly' (I had to google the spelling of her name when I got back to work), had that surreal shift of perception when two-dimensional people are now three dimensional and walking down the same street as you and you realise they're real, and went back to work and took some calls about financial products and wondered what it was like to be an actor instead.
More twilight outside, and Tiamat sounding like some gloomy prog-goth band, a dreamy drizzle of an album, like falling asleep on drizzly afternoons on days where the weather is as gloomy and bank holiday weekend-ish as it is today