Sunday 27 May 2012

Shadows cast by Garages

I walk Em home, then make my way back through the pre-midnight streets. The sky is an icy blue - a half moon in the sky lighting that vast nothing. The heat settles into the pavements, into the streets, into the very space I breathe. Other spaces open up. An alleyway I have never noticed before - more like a narrow lane, or an old track. It leads - or seems to lead to a set of garages, lit by a single street lamp. I cannot remember if the street lamp is amongst the garages or in the street beyond. The shadows cast by the garages are deep and appealing, and look like pools of geometric water, a pond covered with algebra perhaps. There is a silence and a peace here, a summers night kind of mystery, and summer undoubtedly is deep with often overlooked mysteries. though The windows are open in my room. I hear the sound of distant cars. probably Portland Road, but I imagine it as a road in the country. A place heard in the distance at night from a remote cottage while falling asleep.