Tuesday 2 July 2013

Angry Work Rant

Words cannot express how much how I hate my job. Every day I dread getting up, dread coming into work. The effect it is having on me is starting to worry me. I feel, every day, my mental health disintegrating a bit further. Being at work is an excruciating mixture of soul-destroying tedium and stress like someone is jamming a pickaxe through your brain.
I met up with Em after work, and we went for a cup of tea in one of the coffee shops down Western Road, and everything was too loud - the waitress moving chairs, the cars on the road, people talking. Everything felt like it was screaming.
And I sat there with Em, and it struck me how much of myself that work has taken. Just a shadow of the person I was before I started working there. So much of me that was there before working there is now so much more lessened. It begins to frighten me how much more of myself will be taken by that place before I can leave.