Saturday 20 July 2013

Prelude to the Hyper-Gallows

The Gallows are here.
The Gallows is that feeling you get as Sunday afternoon turns to evening, and you have work the next day. The weekend is over.It's getting dark outside. 5:00pm comes. 6:00pm comes. You start thinking; I have the length of a normal evening left now. The Gallows is that feeling you get back at school; Top 40 on the radio (or the equivalent if you're not 41...) homework undone, and your least favourite lessons with the worst bullies the next day. Gloomy rain, thick white skies, desolate dread...
It's only Saturday, and The Gallows have started early because I have had the week off work. I've spent the week productively - and actually finished the comic strip I've been working on, I've been to London, I've been for walks, and yet... The Gallows. The fucking Gallows.
This isn't really The Gallows, this is just a prelude. The Gallows will kick in tomorrow properly. I'll long for this moment. Not even midday on Saturday and I've got The Gallows already! I'll be going out tonight, I won't see anyone tomorrow, I'll be hungover. Won't just be The Gallows tomorrow, but the Hyper-Gallows... The kind of Gallows you'd get on the last day of the school holidays.
Time for a walk, time to try and forget about Monday morning, and the alarm, and answering phonecalls, and that long drag till the day ends, and, and, and...
Still, only a month and I'll be on a plane to America, so it's not all bad...