Wednesday 24 July 2013

This Ship begins to Move

I've handed my notice in at work. After a day and a half after my week off last week, I couldn't take any more of it. I was going anyway - at the end of September - and then on Monday night I decided I could afford the end of August, and by lunchtime yesterday, I knew I could not afford not to go. My levels of anxiety were rapidly increasing at a rate that was (and is) alarming. For peace of mind, I have to go as as soon as possible. Because of my holiday in Portland, Oregon, for my cousin James's wedding, this means that my last day at the call centre will be three weeks Tuesday just gone. I have less than 19 days until I leave. I'm in a kind of mild-shock now. I had talked about leaving for so long, and now I am, and I am pleased and scared, fearful and hopeful. Unsurprising emotions. I have no plans, but I will have time. This ship is freed from the Sargasso Sea of the last three years, and we're heading into the heart of the unknown again.