Monday 4 November 2013

Condensation Time

This is the first morning there is significant condensation on the windowpanes of my room. Clear blue sky, bright sunlight. There is a chill, icy and pure, now in the air that belongs more to winter than hazy autumn. I noticed it yesterday when I went for a walk with Em round Three Cornered Copse.
It starts to feel like this time last year. I had a week off from work I remember. Sunny and pleasantly cold then too. I remember waiting for a book to arrive from Amazon. I remember even later in that year - toward the end of the month, when the cold turned darker, more sober, and summer began to seem a long time away.
My first full day on the phones today - well, six hours - I do not finish until 9:00pm. This will be, at least for the present, the immediate future, walking home in a darkness only a few hours from midnight. As I do not have to be up early (I start at 2:00pm) I imagine that I will not go to bed till deep in the small hours.