Monday 16 August 2010

Last Night, Centuries Ago

The day feels slightly cooled, though rumours of sunlight push against the curtains. A feeling of expectancy in the air.
Voices drifting in from the street, passing vehicles, a road drill.
This morning reminds me of:
I: Starting Worcester University in 1996, that mixture of optimism and nervousness. My room at 46 Bransford Road, lit by sun all day round. The blue September skies. Wet air and sunlight. Living in a new city where I didn't know anyone.
(It turned out that one of my housemates whom I didn't meet until a week after I first moved in was a friend I hadn't seen for two years)
II: Malta, 1976. There was always road drills in Malta. Taste of dust and roadworks. A building site next to our school spewing out toxic smoke. Rumours of the school having to close down. Lizards amongst the stones. Scrubby fields stretching on into unreal distances. Pale and washed out lanes.
III: Walking to the Marina with Joe, end of August 2002. Listening to Orplid on my headphones. Asda at the Marina. Walkng along the edge of the breakwater. The shifting at the end of summer.
The walls between times seem thin at this time of year. The past leaks into the present. Linear time disintegrating.
I remember falling asleep last night, listening to the late summer night outside.
It seems like centuries ago.