Tuesday 4 October 2011

A Shift in the Shadow for a Less Defined Town

Sackville Road is the borderland -or line- between these new hill-dark lands of the Mews and the old bright geography of bedsits and one bedroom flats back in Brighton. Once Sackville Road is behind me, and I set off down New Church Road back here, there is a shift in the air, or perhaps in the light.
Or maybe even in the shadow, and for the simple reason that New Church Road is lined with trees and fewer cars, and the dark strips of front gardens allow greater opportunity for darkness.
Still too warm to be autumn, but autumn is coming, slow as honey or the last few hours at work.
When I turn off of New Church Road for home, I watch the long parallels sink into the distance, into unseen Portslade. I wonder of course what it would be like if I kept walking, and I try to fool myself that if I did keep walking I wouldn't end up in Portslade, but some other, less defined town. One night, when I walk back home, there might be a shift in the shadow, and I might just keep walking and find it.