Monday 10 October 2011

Unexpected Observations

I had taken about two calls this morning - it was about 9:20am - when I thought I would check the rota for the day... only to discover that I was on the 11:00am - 7:00pm shift all week. I logged out of my phone and elected to head to the Pavilion Gardens to fill in the hour and a half before I was due back on the phones.
Sitting there in this unexpected time, I drew in my sketchbook I had bought a week ago last Saturday and still not opened what I saw before me. I have the drawing on the table in front of me. Half trees, three bins, a mess of leaves and foliage hiding buildings. Drawing something from life reveals just quite how chaotic the reality of things actually are.
I returned to the park at lunchtime, hoping to carry on with the picture. I was at first disappointed, but the old man sat at the table soon left, and I returned to carry on with drawing. Strange to be in the same place mid afternoon I was in earlier in the morning. The light had shifted and the shadows were different, but the Pavilion Gardens still had that earlier dreamlike feel. It always does when summer has passed by, and even over the summer there is something slightly unfocussed about the place.