Monday 10 October 2011

Two Self Referential Dreams

1. I am descending a stairwell, accompanied by Andy. The stairwell is similar to the kind that may be found in a school or some other public function building, flights of steps doubling back on themselves, interrupted by small landings. The stairway is well-lit by windows (I am not sure what is outside) but there is still the feeling of being deep underground. There is the knowledge, unspoken, that this stairway forms part of some, or actually is, a mineshaft, for the mining of what remains unknown. The stairways and landings are covered with rubbish. This unnerves me and reminds me of those recurring dreams I have about secret stairways found in attics. These stairways are haunted and fascinate and repulse me. Dangerous places. I am about to say this to Andy, and thatw e should get out of here when a doorway comes down from the ceiling, blovking off the section of stairway Andy is on. This 'doorway' is made up of pads of paper, so are easy to destroy. Andy still wants to continue but I am overcome by a sense of panic and terror and must leave.
2. I have returned back to Ickenham and am in our old house with a number of people. I decide to take everybody on a walk through my adolescence. For some reason I wish to show everybody my old college Uxbridge College, where I failed my art A-level over 1990 / 1991. On the way there was stop on the field that is on the way, surrounded by houses. Other people are there too, milling about in a purposeless fashion. Some of them I know, others are friends of friends. The branches of trees, a darkening sky. The field feels enclosed, as if it is an interior space. I wish to find a certain part of this field that is located around the outside of the field. This is in the trench that surrounds the field, where a number of overflow pipes lay. This place I used to call 'Mince Spies' because this was what it was called in a dream I once had.