Sunday 5 May 2013

The Dark Streets of Kimballs Green

There was a childrens television programme back in the 1970s I never watched. Perhaps I was too young, or perhaps because it was on ITV and I preferred the BBC's kids TV. The programme was called Shadows. Each episode was 25 minutes long, and was a self contained ghost story. As I said, I never watched it when I was a kid, but I did get hold of the first season a couple of weeks ago. I've mentioned before about how utterly strange 1970s childrens television shows could be. Shadows is no exception.
Very little happens in the six or so stories I've seen. One or two characters (children or teenagers) find themselves in some isolated environment (a country cottage, an old manor house, a school when all the kids have gone home). There is a gradual increase in atmosphere and tension, leading to a series of supernatural incidents (poltergeist activity, possession, time slips), culminating in a climax where everything isn't quite explained...
In one story, The Waiting Room, two teenagers trapped in a railway station for the night encounter two characters from the past, who died in a railway disaster years decades previous. They elect not to get on the train that arrive for them - obviously some ghost train heading for the same disaster - or so you are meant to think. However, dawn comes, and the train the main characters are waiting for does arrive. However, two characters turn up who are obviously the ghosts from the past - but dressed in modern clothes, and speaking the same lines the previous ghosts did... The protagonists elect not to get on this train either - even if it is the one they were meant to catch - obviously some other disaster awaits.
A disquieting tale - is the railway station haunted? Is the station some kind of breeding ground for railway disasters? How did the two protagonists leave the station if every train that turned up seemed to be headed for some disaster? These stories were only 25 minutes long. There was a lot packed into them.
These tales were on at around about 4:30pm - an after school  - and are intelligent and well written, masterpieces of atmosphere that in no way talks down to their audience, (unlike television now of course, blah blah blah, ramblings of a middle aged man, things aren't as good as they used to be etc etc etc...).
As I said,  never watched the show when I was a kid. What I did have, however, was a book based on the series. It was called The Best of Shadows. I remember the front cover, of a yellowing tree with a human face (this was based on the episode where a caretaker who hated children got turned into a tree). After I had got the DVD a couple of weeks ago, I looked online for the book I used to have. I found some entry on it somewhere, and scanned through the titles.
The Dark Streets of Kimballs Green.
I don't remember the story - aside from the one about the caretaker who turned into a tree - I don't remember any of the stories. That title though... As I read it, there were some vague flickers of something, some old fascination. I could almost recall, as a kid, being fascinated by that title, about what that story might be about that I never got around to reading.
As an adult, that title fixed on my imagination too. It came with an image - of being stood on a pavement outside of some kind of urban park at night. The town had the feel of some Midlands town, a large sprawling dreamy place beginning to decay. The park itself (the fence surrounding the park was rusted iron) was dark, and across the other side of the park, a line of street lamps lit a line of twilight-lowered houses. Chimney smoke, cracked pavements, television aerials on roofs, silhouetted against a blue-black star pitted sky. This was Kimballs Green, an area of that nameless Midlands town. Kimballs Green would be a place that might have subtly haunted my childhood - I would have no friends there, I would have no reason to ever go there. I would only become aware of it when passing by, on the other side of the park - perhaps in the back seat of a car, being picked up from school or cub scouts of wherever. Kimballs Green would seep into my consciousness slowly - never as anything important - but something that would occur to me on windy nights deep in October when I couldn't sleep. Things would continue this way until secondary school when I would meet a girl and we would talk, and she would say that she came from Kimballs Green...
That's how far the image - or whatever it is - goes. I don't want to think about it too deeply because it might rob the image of it's power, and neither do I want to watch the original episode (in season 3) because it is bound to be a disappointment.
Perhaps I should keep it for windy October nights when I can't sleep.