Wednesday 17 August 2011

Head full of Superstition and Identity Checks

The shifting wheels of flat hunting - are things moving or is it only fear or hope? Those two states of mind seem remarkably similar. The uncertain journey with an unclear ending (where, come October shall I be living?) transforms itself into a strange near superstitious mania. I leave things out here because I am afraid that if I write them they may come true - or not true - depending on what I am not writing about.
All through work today I remain convinced that if only I can sort out photographic ID in time then everything will be fine. Anecdotal evidence suggests that photographic ID is vital to move house now - not something I have ever had to produce before. Or have I? I have some vague recollection of showimg Mr Ahmed ID back in November of 2009, before I moved in here. Never before I think.
Shouted conversations with Andy on the phone at lunchtime. I can hardly hear him. North Street full of buses and foreign students, the latter of which engaged in some odd chanting ritual. I optimistically go into my bank, HSBC, to find out whether or not they may certify documents for the mysterious Citizen Card. I am informed that they do not certify anything but internal documents for HSBC for the last two years. Slightly deflated, and before lunch ends, I check the Citizen Card website again for other options. A birth certificate is accep[table, but only if the verifier knows you personally. From the list of acceptable occupatioons, the only one which is suitable is Joe in Worcester, a civil servant. I would need to first get a copy of my birth certficate, then send the forms to him in Worcester, then to send them off to be certified... What if something goes wrong? Should I just renew my passport anyway? Where is my (expired anyway) passport?
I suppose the next seven weeks are going to be very much like the last two days.
I suppose I must get used to this odd, strangely euphoric mania.