Saturday 7 January 2012

Afternoon Dreams

Sat on my bed in the blue of early twilight. The Saturday-angles of the house next door, so called because I really only notice them on Saturdays, are beginning to soften into their night-states. No movement there, and the windows, ragged and slight and legion, -I can count at least eleven- are as secretive and preoccupied as ever. There is one that particularly fascinates me. It is half obscured by a back extension that comes out of the main building. It nestles on a grimy patch of wall, next to a shadowy-stain of a blunt chimney.
After work finished today I headed home and soon went to sleep for a few hours. Deep and intricate afternoon dreams. One set in a dream-alley that was located somewhere between here and Portslade. The alleyway was boarded on one side by a high fence that led onto fields and on the other by the gardens of houses. The alleyway could only be accessed by the two entrance / exits, and presumably through the houses whose gardens looked onto the alleyway too. The alley was lined by trees and street lamps. Despite the secretive nature of the passageway, there were quite a few people here, mostly teenagers. I walked from one end of the alleyway to another. I remember one section that looked out onto the low roofs of sunken houses. They clustered round the sinister enclaves of a miniature electricity sub-station.
The alleyway eventually opened out onto a playground, actually into a piece of playground equipment. This looked like some kind of slide, where instead of a slope there were steps instead. There were more teenagers here, a boy and a gurl. The boy had not noticed me and sat down on the steps. I was afraid that he would become aggressive with me, and was surprised at how apologetic he sounded when I asked him if I could get by.
There were other dreams too, but I remember none of them. Twilight has deepened outside, halfway to night now, and I am still heavy with sleep.
I feel exhaustion clinging to me like rain.
It always does when you fall asleep while it is still day.