Tuesday 31 January 2012

Undersea Shafts

The silence of the Mews is beginning to end. The sound of shutters being drawn back and doors open. Men stepping out of vehicles, carpentry footsteps. Imagined smell of timber and saws. A glimpse of the sky shows it to be a steely grey, an almost liquid colour that seems too heavy. Difficult flying for seagulls today. This end of January seems to last forever - and most of February too - no time, no flow. Backed up water of the year - deep - I remember something...
(a dream from last night)
Some kind of underwater structure, like a submerged oil rig. There are great shafts that go into the sea bed itself. Black maws, a bottomless void. I cannot remember if, in the dream, I am able to breathe underwater or am wearing some kind of diving suit - or perhaps I am on the surface of the sea, and the air is so bleak it only seems underwater. These circular shafts of blackness disturb and fascinate me. They go down into the sea-deeps - I imagine them leading to frightening sea monsters - giant octopi and the like. I must walk past these holes but am afraid. I take short cuts instead. This makes me feel much better. I was afraid of these short cuts collapsing but they do not.
All I remember.
I must leave for work.