Saturday 9 June 2012

Sunny Windy Days

Sunny windy days.
The rain and gloom of earlier in the week has dissipated, replaced by a ceaseless ongoing wind. There was something autumnal about it yesterday morning as I sat in the cosy gloom waiting to leave for work. The sun broke through the rain in the afternoon, and the wind grew wilder. It rattled loudly through the night, leaked its poltergeists into the doors and the walls, and the cassette tape I jammed under the door frame ('Nothingface' by Voivod) didn't stop the door rattling.

Seems calmer out there now - even summery - though if I crane my head to look back at the sea - the water is restless. Not as much as yesterday - or even this morning - when the sea seems dangerous - a fluid and untrustworthy carnivore, eyes of waves, foamy-white with a drowny bloodlust. No boats out there. But it seems to have grown calmer now.

I remember sunny windy weather when I was a kid - they seemed to make wherever I was that much more mysterious - as if the afternoon was about to reveal something secret and glorious and ambiguous. Empty houses and abandoned alleyways, the wood to the north of where I lived, the farmers fields beyond the green fence. It all seemed to promise mysteries that needed to be investigated. It didn't take much for us to start ghost hunting on days like that becaus somebody would say they had 'seen something strange', -often a few days previous- or had heard something 'creepy' in the deeps of a childhood sleep, hovering on the edge of dreams.

Something still persists of that sense of mysterious possibility when such weather comes now - though these days I'm more likely to daydream out of the window, rather than investigate any ghost stories. One of the perils of growing up I suppose. Still, if I were to come across an abandoned house I'd never noticed before, with an open door leading to a darkened hallway full of shifting shadows, it might be a different, and far more interesting, story.

Not today though. No wind now.
Almost looks like it might be summer again.