Sunday 12 August 2012

Nearing the Horizon

5:00pm. Sat on mattress with my back to the window listening to noisy hardcore influenced thrash in the form of Ringworm's The Venomous Grand Design album. The sun is still shining. It is a hot summery day.
I an looking forward to autumn now.
August disquiets me. It is not so much the heat I think, but the light. Even if the nights are no drawing in, by this time of year I find the too-long days as claustrophobic as the too-long nights of grim February. Everything seems too exposed and not safe.
At least with August seeming like summer means that, hopefully anyway, shift into September will be more pronounced, that almost click in the air that turns the skies deeper, the air more refreshing, and the stretched out evenings long paeans to more mysterious and beguiling times.