Thursday 9 August 2012

Changing Rooms

Spent the evening changing my room round, and now lie on the sofa exhausted from the sudden physical effort. Books removed from bookcase, put back, removed again, put back, bookcase dragged across room, bed dragged across room, boxes moved, piled up, put down.
There are certain inevitabilities to changing your room about. The first is that it will take longer than you think. Because of this, you will end up going to bed in a room that looks at least slightly disordered. There will also be something that is damaged. In this case it is the bookcase itself. Nails torn out, the backing coming off. It starts to lean alarmingly. I observe this with concern.
When I was a kid changing my room about was a cause of great excitement. This usually caused me not to be able to sleep that night as my room would feel all strange and new and Christmassy. This last despite the fact that all great room moves seemed to be done in summer.
I don't think there'll be insomnia tonight though. I feel I could sleep for days.