Friday 15 February 2013

Patterns in the Carpet

We had a training day today at work in the Thistle Hotel on Brighton seafront.
All hotels, purely by the very reason of them being hotels, remind me of The Overlook in Kubrick's  flawed adaptation of The Shining. I think it's the fact that all hotels have those always brightly lit windowless corridors, and every hotel I've been, even the tiny ones, have a floor plan that seem to have been designed by M.C.Escher in the depths of some hallucinogenic fever.
Disquieting places hotels, full of dead ends and secret rooms and the feeling of there being some undercurrent just behind the closed doors you pass by. Hotels are rarely eerie though (unlike The Overlook) - they are too brightly lit and busy to ever be consider even slightly spooky.
The carpet in the Thistle Hotel (it seemed the same in every room) was made up of a series of three interlocking squares. During the quiet times of the training day, I kept finding myself drawn into the patterns on the carpet. If you squinted your eyes a certain way, the patterns would form some kind of three dimensional grid suspended over some endless, empty space. Imagine falling between the grids, and out into that nothingness...
I jerked myself out of this reverie, remembering suddenly that there was a bit in The Shining (the novel, not the film) where main character Jack Torrance discovers, amongst old papers in the cellar, a handwritten note - something about being spooked out by patterns in the carpet or a rug. I can't really remember - it's been a while since I last read it. I remember it started with the words 'Medoc - are you here?' or something similar.
I didn't get caught in the patterns in the carpet for long. I extricated myself when the day finished, and in the sunset-gloom of the 5:00pm twilight, got only slightly lost trying to find my way out.