Thursday 7 February 2013

The Lost Album

I bought it last August, put it on my i-pod and didn't play it much because, well, I always buy far too much music and some albums just end up being lost. I had a few i-tunes disasters, and ended up having to restart my library again, and then I got a new laptop, and started yet again... and I forgot about the album, and didn't put it back on my i-pod.
The last time I listened to the album was falling asleep on the coach coming back from Scotland on the last day or so of September.
Lately, it has started to recur to me again.
I'm not sure that sentence is in English, but let me explain. I remember very little about the album. I remember it was short (32 minutes) and then it was kind of like old favourite indie-goths the Cranes, mixed with a slight 1950s feel, and a touch of Italian horror-prog-disco pioneers Goblin. I remember I liked the album... but nothing much more. Over the past week though, fragments of the album started to, well, recur. These fragments consisted of a strangeness, and little else, redolent of that time between the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. September like a fragment of a dream fading fast, a lost landscape, and this forgotten album was a soundtrack, a map to that odd surely-not-real country.
September last year was odd.
I couldn't even remember the name of the band.
So I hunted for the CD tonight. More difficult than you might think. I am untidy and my CDs are scattered around various shadowy nooks of my room. I couldn't find it. Anywhere. Maybe I had thrown it away. Because I couldn't find the album, it turned into the best album ever.
I looked at one of the pile of CDs I had put on my bed.
There it was.
The band are Still Corners, and the album is called Creatures of an Hour.
I had mistaken the CD for another CD I had bought last summer. They had similar cover designs. I can't remember the name of that band either. Even as I'm burning Creatures of an Hour, I'm thinking; what was the name of the other band? Something about Corridors and the album title about the hour being late?
I can't remember much about the music on that CD either... It had Violins on, and a heartbeat-dark dramatic quality, a bit like Italian horror-prog-disco-pioneers Goblin...
I can't find the album.
Maybe I've thrown it away.
I must find it.
It might be the best album ever...