Sunday 10 March 2013

Colonel Gadaffi's Grocery Store

There is a local shop I never go into. I'm not sure why. It sells groceries and other useful items - the newsagent next door just sells newspapers and snacks, yet I am always reluctant to enter. The man who runs the shop bears more than a passing resemblance to deposed (and dead) Libyan dictator Colonel Gadaffi, but on the rare occasions I have spoken to him (about twice including today) he has always been very polite and friendly.
Perhaps it is the shop itself. It is a medium size (medium for a local shop) room without any central shelves. All the produce are stacked around the walls. This gives the shop an exposed and watched air. The colonel slouches behind the till with the air of an old Marvel comic book super villain. I had to go in there today to buy some toilet paper (I went to the Sainsburys on Portland Road first of all, but bought The Sunday Times and completely forgot about toilet paper). I didn't even know whether or not they sold toilet paper. Still, a local shop selling groceries and other useful items would be bound to sell toilet paper.
The Colonel greeted me as I entered. I went to one corner of the small room - I don't know why - and looked intently at the corner that was selling a variety of cleaning products. I turned back to the Colonel; 'Excuse me, do you sell toilet paper?'. He gestured toward the door, where I had passed a large pyramid-construction of various brands of toilet paper, both cheap and expensive. I thought it would be ostentatious to go for a quilted variety so settled for Andres instead.