Saturday 30 March 2013

There Should be Violins

Wrap myself in the warm confusion of Saturday night. I feel like I should have a hangover -and don't- and only had one beer yesterday afternoon because I was working today anyway. Listening to a Green Carnation album I bought in Oxfam today for £1:99. I never heard them back in the day - just one of those bands that would pop up in Terrorizer magazine that Andy would tape me, or I would tape him. Back in the days when black metal and its associate genres were more than nostalgia.
Taping albums for Andy. Used to take me an age to get round to them. Neatly filling out song names and album titles - and I would always include the year the album was released - Andy would always include the country of origin on his tapes. Trying to work out if the songs would fit on the side of the tape. Hearing that click of the tape ending. Not enough room. Trying to fit another song on there instead. Then finding a padded envelope. Enough stamps. Stuffing them in the post box along with a letter.
Green Carnation don't sound very black metal - I'm listening to the album now, one of the albums (I bought two by them along with another by a band called Aeturnus) - and it sounds more like some experimental doom/death. More forgotten bands like In The Woods... all soprano female vocals, echoey guitars. Violins? Are there violins? There should be violins.
The album goes on for 78 minutes.
There'll be violins in there somewhere.