Wednesday 8 September 2010

8:15am, Lit by a Single Lightbulb

I woke up this morning at 6:22am. The light outside the window was murky with the remnants of night. Darkness creeping forward to swallow up the mornings.
This short hour or so before I leave for work reminds me of old mornings, of getting up for school, or college or universities. Time seems frozen, and the single lightbulb that illuminates my room only adds to this feeling of suspension.
Before long, I shall wake up in darkness and it will be cold, and the trip to the bathroom from my bed shall seem a near-mythical feat of endurance and extremity.
Fifteen minutes till I leave for work. Quarter past eight. No seagulls, only traffic, and the day seems somehow soporific, as if the city will spend the day tired and dreaming of sleep.