Monday 20 September 2010

An Autumn Equinox made by Machines

Woke up nearly an hour ago, two mintes before my alarm was due to go off at 7:00am. My room was in that dream-like transitional phase between night ad day. An early mornng twilight. As it is the autumn equinox today (which always has so much more meaning to me than to rather the more remembered summer and winter equinoxes) I thought it rather fitting; waking up halfway between night and day on the day when both are equal in length and significance.
The sounds of the morning filter in through the curtains; cars and creaking, the noise of taxis waiting in the rank below this house of bedsits. The mornng seems strangely free of human and animal noises; no seagulls, no walkers -morning made by machines.
Fragments of dreams stayed with me after I had woken. A long coach or bus-trip, where the interior of the vehicle was wide and vast. Some trouble with the vehicles toilets. A grey and uninspiring sky out of the windows. Another dream about a tiny river. Not even a river really, more a brook. I was watching the course of a large leaf I had named New Orleans (I have no idea why). Watching New Orleans get snagged and stuck, then finally tipping down into miniature waterfals where I followed. The water became slow and sluggish, as if composed of honey rather than hydrogen and oxygen molecules. New Orleans became stuck again. I suddenly felt rather precarious, balanced on the rocks of this tiny ravine and afraid I would fall into the waiting water below.
Thinking about it, if I want to walk to Hove Lagoon at twilight, I had best get on with it soon. Before I realise, it will start getting dark too early for me to make it there after work.
Summer really is over.