Wednesday 27 October 2010

Morning Drift

A  rainy blustery morning, another later shift, then straight to the Concorde to watch the reformed Swans. A busy day awaits me, accompanied no doubt by the rain, and the knowledge of that early darkness, the last few days of British Summer Time...
I had the week off this time last year. On the Monday I took a walk with Joe up to the other side of the Marina, had roast chicken from the Asda at the Marina. A year ago today I took a walk to Preston Manor, and wrote bad poems in a notebook. I took a photograph in the gardens there. When I looked at the photograph later on, there was a figure through the archway I don't remember being there when I took the photograph.
On the Thursday of that week, Joe and myself took a long walk through the countryside around Stanmer, the last of the warm days that year if I remember rightly. On the Friday I met Sarah for a coffee, bought a French zombie film 'The Grapes of Death' (people were turned into zombies by drinking wine made from grapes treated with a new pesticide) and an album by a band I had never heard of before; 'Faun Fables'. I remember sitting on the beach feeling a strange sense of euphoria.
I stayed in on that Saturday night, Hallowe'en, and watched a programme on the ghosts of Skye, and worked on some artwork. Following the nightmarish events of later that night I handed in my notice the following day and spent the month sleeping on Andy's sofa. At the end of that month, shortly before moving in here, I started 'Tales from Bridge 39'.
I had three pints at the pub with Jo last night. I feel their heaviness in my head, and may well have to requisition some paracetemol on the way to work... Gone are the days of going clubbing then going straight to work three hours later.
45 minutes till I leave for work. Enough time for a cup of tea.