Sunday 24 October 2010

A Morning in a City I Once Lived in

Sunday morning. The cathedral bells are quiet now. An hour or so ago, their chimes cutting through the October sun. One of those wet and bright Worcester days. A breakfast of toast and orange juice. A day of train travelling awaits me. The miasma of station changes, and very little times to change trains hangs over me. Also have to navigate my way from Birmingham New Street to Moor Street. Really must look this up on Google Maps, but know that by the time I reach New Street I will have forgotten the hastily memorised directions.
Joe B plays guitar downstairs, House of the Rising Sun', and a car door slams outside. There is the sound of voices on the street, a car driving away. Joe B comes into the room, we talk about directions and taking Eva for a walk.
The condensation on the windowpanes fractures and softens the outside.
I once lived in this city. It feels a long time ago now.