Sunday 31 October 2010

Specific Hallowe'ens I Recall.

1982:
Ten years old. Out ghost hunting with Martin and Craig. Up in the small woods behind Burnside in Kinloss, Scotland. The sun just over the tips of the trees. Running away from the Burn because Craig had heard the sound of 'mutoids' in the water. Looking back along the path, and seeing Craig and Martin starting to run. running as well. Craig later informs us that the 'Mutoids', a family of monsters, has grown in number  since the last time he has encountered them.

1984:
Twelve years old. Trick or treating around Southside, Kinloss with John Kelly. Probably stay the night at his house before school the next day.

1986:
Fourteen years old. Had spent the week at Nan's house in Wolverhampton. Stay the night at my aunt and uncle's place in Cheltenham. Listening to the Friday Rock Show on the radio. Hear two tracks from Slayer's 'Reign in Blood' album for the first time.

1989:
Seventeen years old. At home in Ickenham alone. The doorbell rings. I ignore it thinking it may be trick or treaters. When I finally open the door I discover it is friends of mine.

1991:
Nineteen years old. An attempt at a 'haunted tour' of Hillingdon. I drive my parents car, accompanied by Edward. I remember we went to Court Park, and the cemetery near Abbotsfield. We end the 'Haunted Tour' on the field between Ickenham and Uxbridge. On the edge of a small pond. I tell Edward to take a few steps backwards. Edward steps into the shallow pond. Wet feet. Angry Edward.
(As an aside, there weren't actually any truly haunted places in Hillingdon, so we just ended up going to places that may have been vaguely creepy... but weren't).

1992:
Twenty years old. Watching 'Ghostwatch' on BBC1, and being quite terrified by it.

2000:
Twenty eeight years old. First Hallowe'en in Brighton. Get dressed up (well, wear white face paint) and end up in the Ocean Rooms. Gatecrashing a wedding party. Meet Valerie for the first time Not getting home until 5 am.

2005:
Thirty three years old. Working a late-shift at the petrol station. Watching the sunset tinged sky outside getting dark, and thinking 'this is Hallowe'en.

2007:
Thirty five years old. Going ghost hunting with Joe in Preston Manor churchyard. All is serene and peaceful. Lying on a tombstone, I give a fright to two passers-by, possibly ghost hunting as well. Rising up, all dressed in black, they look at me and run away.

2008:
Thirty six years old. End up with Claire in St Nicks Churchyard. I attempt to tell her ghost stories. We are both drunk.
Claire falls over a lot.

2009:
Thirty seven years old. I stay in and watch a programme on ghosts of the Isle of Skye. The programme is excellent and I draw as I watch. I feel quite contented. Later that night I am woken by the doorbell ringing at 4am. What followed were the events that propelled me to hand in my notice to leave.

There are other Hallowe'ens I remember, but because I cannot nail them down to a specific year, I have not allowed them an appearance here. I have not included the 'Shantell' (a song by And Also The Trees) incident of 1997, because though this occured datewise on the 31st October, it was actually the night of 30th October... if you see what I mean.