Thursday 4 November 2010

Attempting to Defeat the Dead-Light

One of those days where you don't feel connected to anything, just drifting along, daydreaming about nothing. Work, then lunchtime suddenly, and at lunch a long meandering walk around town because I felt like expending some energy, then the quick fall down the afternoon to the valley of 4:30pm. Waiting then in the call-centre for night to come. Seems to come so quickly now, like some daily armageddon. A great concrete thing dropped from the skies, in what seems seconds.
My desk is in the middle of the call centre. I can see a few street lights on distant hills, and after night, the sea becomes nothing but a great void between buildings.
Watching the clock creep to 5:00pm.
Exiled from it all.

I had intended to spend the evening relaxing, maybe drawing, but after I had returned to the bedsit and switched on my lamp, I quickly realised this was not to be - for there was that familiar and dreaded -clink!- of the lightbulb going. Looking at the lamp, bought from Argos a a couple of months ago, I soon realised that replacing the bulb was not to be a convenient option. For one thing, the bulb is of a type I have never seen before, and for another, it requires a screwdriver to unscrew something holding in the bulb.
Easier to buy another lamp.
The thought of spending the evening under the awful dead-light of the single bulb was not in any way appealing. My first thought was to try and go to sleep, despite the fact that it was only 5:30pm, and wake up later on when, perhaps, I could watch the television and forget about the dead-light. This, unsurprisingly, proved impossible, and at 6:00pm, I leapt out of bed to head down Argos to buy another cheap lamp.
Argos was, of course, closed by the time I got there, even though it is late night shopping night. I headed to Churchill Square. British Home Stores. They would have lamps surely? Yes, they did have lamps, but very expensive ones for £40. I still wasn't in the mood for returning to the bedsit and the dead-light, but nor was I in the mood for spending the price of the 'Doctor Who and the Key to Time' box set DVD on a lamp.
Maybe I should go for a walk to avoid coming back home?
I caught the bus to the Marina instead. There is a big Asda there. They must have some cheap lamps there. I had some vague suspicion that I had gone to an Asda before looking for lamps and not finding any... but was that the Asda in Hove? This was the big Asda. They would have lamps. It might cost me £4 to get there and back, but I would still be back by 7-ish. I could still have a few hours without the dead-light.
Asda didn't have any lamps.
In utter desperation I bought two big candles instead and caught the bus back.
They're burning in my room now, on a plate on top of the television.
They, of course, make no difference to the horrible dullness of the dead-light.
Its been one of those days.
The dead-light is victorious.