Wednesday 10 November 2010

A Mysterious Super-Villain with Special Laser Rays

The man next door continued playing his guitar all night, and only stopped for bouts of protracted coughing.
Glad of the peace and silence, and unnaccountably tired, I went to bed at 10:30pm. I woke up shortly before midnight. The man next door had started snoring. The walls are so thin that the sound reverberated around my roo, and kept me awake until the small hours. I almost wished for the guitar playing to come back again. He sounded like some great, grumbling legend of a hellhound. I eventually conceded defeat and went to sleep on the sofa on the other side of my (tiny) room. I could still hear him, but somehow fell into a very cramped sleep.
He eventually stopped snoring, but only when he woke himself up with such a violent fit of coughing that the room next door began to sound like some sinister World War I tuberculosis ward.

There are further house of bedsit-mysteries.
When I returned from work this evening, there was a card on the post table in the hallway. This was from the police, and informed us there had been 'reports' of 'residents' in the street parallel to mine having a laser pen shone 'in their eyes'.
A laser pen shone in peoples eyes? This is all very strange. What could be achieved by this. It sounds almost like the stranger reports of Spring Heeled Jack from Victorian London. I presume that the laser is shone into peoples eyes from a distance, which I imagine is why the police had dropped a card around here. At least I think so. Is there a possibility that this mysterious wielder of a laser pen is situated in this very building? A super villain in this gloomy bedsit house? Does he (or she) sit in their room at the back of the house and shine lasers in the eyes of passers by in the road below?
This actually seems unlikely. The road in question is at the back of this house, and across the gardens are another line of houses before this now laser-haunted road. This would seem to require a great deal of accuracy (and luck) for this to be possible.
Perhaps the police have had reports of the 'Laser Wielder' running into here? Might he (or she) be connected to the mysterious crack that has made the second floor bathroom a prohibited area? Could it be the snoring man next door with his cheerful and annoying guitar playing?
Might I be the next victim if I continue to use the first floor bathroom? If you open the window in there, there is a good view across to the street beyond...