Saturday 6 November 2010

The Fire-Extinguisher Man

Walking to work this morning, with my headphones on, and still half asleep, I passed by some kind of commotion. A person very near me. I continued walking, but curiosity got the better of me and I turned around, only to be confronted by a ragged looking fellow brandishing, of all things, a fire extinguisher at me. He looked to be your typical Brighton mid-thirty something; longish hair, vaguely alternative, with that special expression common to certain types of thirty something that denotes something along the lines of 'missed the boat'.
He had a look of attention seeking aggression im his eyes. Usually I would have walked on, but after a vaguely unpleasant week I had to curb a sudden instinct to ask him what the fuck he thought he was doing. I stared back at him instead, which led to an expression of imbecilic surprise on his face. He looked away.
I carried on walking, still seething inwardly at such characters having to live in the same city as me. After a short while of walking, I heard a metallic sound and turned back.
He had actually thrown the fire extinguisher at me.
Which made me even more angry.
The man by this time had, of course, disappeared, though I could hear him shouting nonsensical obscenities somewhere nearby.
I continued walking.
I imagine that it must be undeniably horrible to be a homeless drug addict / alcoholic -which I presume he must be- but its also fairly horrible to have a fire extinguishwer thrown at you before 9'0'clock in the morning, so excuse me if I don't have any sympathy this time.
With the incident of the heroin-man last Monday morning, I have a growing feeling of dissatisfaction with Brighton at the moment.
It just seems to be a bit of an immature place sometimes.
Still whats a city you live in if you can't dislike it occasionally?